Following his resignation and the announcement of a judicial probe by Chief Minister Fadnavis, tidings of alleged links between Maharashtra coalition regime’s virtual ex-Deputy CM – Eknath Khadse and international terrorist fugitive Dawood Ibrahim disappeared from media headlines. Inbuilt multiple bundles of contradictions in Khadse’s defence have been curiously overlooked.
Choreographed angry reactions crowd headline space referring to his alleged land-grab in Pune worth less than Rs.100 crores. They also have successfully caused a real estate scandal worth Rs.2.6 lakh crores – that involves a reported Dawood aide within 1 km of his official residence in Mumbai to achieve total latency! 
Senior Mumbai cop Atulchandra Kulkarni, aiming to upstage his senior and Commissioner of Police – Padsalgikar is the man whose inaction has helped Dawood’s men to continue operating in Mumbai with impunity.
Copies of a letter sent to Mumbai Port Trust – pointing to a US$43 billion scandal [along with telling evidence] were sent to the PM, Khadse and several others – including the ex-CMD of Mumbai Port Trust – in December 2014. Little movement seen in those expose one sordid fact – the real face of corruption stays hidden.
Mumbai Port Trust and Atulchandra have other skeletons in their cupboards.
Kulkarni was given details of Dawood’s role in the sinking of naval submarine Sindhurakshak. At his bidding they were also handed over to the Central Bureau of Investigation, Anti-Corruption Branch, located within 100 metres of the scene of crime. Yet, precious little progress is seen.
Dawood’s gang-members control a vast swathe of India’s financial capital – Mumbai. The matter is in public domain and was reported in these columns two months ago. A detailed dossier was sent to the PMO. Its only result was that a stupid attempt was made by corrupt sections of Mumbai police to accord protection to this writer – which was turned down with the contempt it deserved.
The sinking of Mumbai’s naval submarine guard-ship Sindhurakshak that had been within an area whose neighbourhood flanks are under the general control of Mumbai Port Trust.
On 14 August 2013, the Sindhurakshak sank after explosions caused by a fire on board when the submarine was berthed at Mumbai. The submarine sank and was partially submerged in 15 metres deep water at its berth, with only a portion of the sail visible above the water surface.
Sources state that a small explosion occurred around midnight which then triggered the two larger explosions.
A Board of Inquiry, set up by the navy, was expected to present a report on the cause of the disaster by mid-September 2013.
Defence Minister AK Antony did not rule out the sabotage angle in the Navy submarine [Sindhurakshak] accident.
Antony also told that there was no insurance for warships and submarines.
Hailing Antony, Deputy Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Ravi Shankar Prasad said that he appreciated the defence minister’s “honest confession that the submarine tragedy has affected our credibility”.
The submarine, with 18 naval personnel aboard, was rocked by a fire in the intervening night of August 13-14 at the naval dockyard in Mumbai. Antony had visited Mumbai on August 14 to obtain a first-hand account of the situation.
Preliminary investigations into the sinking of INS Sindhurakshak had revealed that the “near-simultaneous” explosions that preceded a fire which engulfed the submarine were caused by the possible ignition of its armaments, Antony had said earlier this week.
Sabotage is one of the six possible reasons for the sinking of kilo-class submarine INS Sindhurakshak in August 2013, a preliminary report of the board of inquiry (BoI) has held, a report in The Hindu said on April 2014.
The roles of several other persons somewhat connected to Khadse call out for a close scrutiny.
One of them is Ujwal Nikam, the celebrity lawyer who hails from the home constituency of Khadse – Jalgaon. His so-called interrogation of David Coleman Headley, in itself, is a scandal!
The Home Department held by CM Devendra Fadnavis is involved in the Rs.950 crore rupee scandal concerning installation of 6500 CCTV cameras to safeguard the financial capital since 2015! The contract was awarded to companies in the Larsen &Toubro stable.
The reasons for terming it a scandal:
The scheme cost is Rs.950 to install 6500 CCTV units.
The math works out to per CCTV unit costing Rs.14.61 lakhs.
Mumbai has several outlets selling CCTV camera units are available for as low as Rs.5000 per unit!
Any greenhorn reporter can work out that Khadse could point to the Fadnavis’s Achilles Heel over the CCTV scam worth Rs.950 crores versus the Rs.80 crore land-grab matter of the former. Political blackmail is just one of the minor angles.
No wonder, Maharashtra Congress leaders are calling the resignation as a weak drama script.
At another end of the political spectrum is the Mumbai Municipal Corporation polls scheduled to be held in a few months, an event meant to be a do-or-die affair for Shiv Sena, currently the junior partner of the Bharatiya Janata Party [BJP] led coalition government.
It is the ‘take’ that makes politicians ooze saliva.
Corruption charges traded between the Sena and BJP is a mild understatement.
There is a contorted political equation to all this.
Fearing its dung-heap position, Shiv Sena agreed to accept the shameful T&C dictated by Fadnavis to be part of the coalition regime.
In the ensuing Mumbai civic polls, feud-generated fissures between the BJP and Sena could morph into fjords.
The saviour role may have to be played by NCP again. Hence, it is a matter of no wonder that NCP mainstays are loudly silent about the whole issue. The obvious quid pro quo is that serious corruption charges worth Rs.70,000 crores pending against Sharad Pawar’s nephew and political heir – Ajit have been placed in cold storage.
On August 3 2015, Jency Jacob, senior editor, Business Standard Web Edition wrote a critique against the Mumbai Press Corps’ fatal attraction towards the underworld of India’s financial capital.
The underworld does…need coverage. They are part of the same society that we belong to, belonging the corrupt nexus that exists between politicians, law enforcers and the failure to enforce the law.
The Mumbai media’s fascination with the underworld has not been properly documented.
Knowing a gangster is a badge of honour that some journalists are proud of. Many have used these connections…to enrich themselves.
Jacob wrote his piece in the backdrop of the hanging of 1993 Mumbai serial bomb blast accused Yakub Memon.
Terrorist and Chartered Accountant Yakub Abdul Razak Memon, was hanged on his 53rd birthday, July 2015.
Memon convicted over his involvement in the 1993 Bombay bombings by Special Terrorist and Disruptive Activities court on 27 July 2007.
The appeals and petitions of Yakub Memon, brother of one of the prime suspects in the bombings, Tiger Memon were heard till a few hours before his hanging by India’s Supreme Court.
Sections of Mumbai’s paid media cited late spook B Raman, who died in June 2013:
“The cooperation of Yakub with the investigating agencies after he was picked up informally in Kathmandu and his role in persuading some other members of the family to come out of Pakistan and surrender constitute, in my view, a strong mitigating circumstance to be taken into consideration while considering whether the death penalty should be implemented,” Raman wrote in the article which was not published earlier on his request.
“But if one also takes into consideration his conduct and role after he was informally picked up in Kathmandu, there is a strong case for having second thoughts about the suitability of the death penalty in the subsequent stages of the case,” Raman had added. Link:
A ‘gentleman’ media pimp Saumit Sinh played the cat’s paw to aid Dawood’s aides to hide most sections of the sordid truths. Those who benefited from Sinh’s sins include 1993 Mumbai serial bomb blasts case accused. Those blasts were financed partly by the loot from the Rs.1,200 crore Cobbler Scam. The same accused also illegally control Government of India owned Mumbai Port Trust’s property whose worth is roughly Rs.2.6 lakh crores!
The main persons under the microscope:
Former Union Minister and Nationalist Congress Party leader Sharad Pawar – whose close relatives and business associates are partners of companies owned by the aforesaid criminal gang involved in the Cobbler Scam.
Rafique Malik Tejani, who owns Metro Shoes Ltd and Metro House P Ltd whose 4th floor recently caught fire. Links point to Tejani being in cahoots with Dawood Ibrahim and Tiger Memon – who are considered responsible for the 1993 bomb blasts.
The ruse used by Sinh was an unenforceable ‘legal’ notice issued by a lawyer JJ Jadeja, who sits in a seedy room located nearly cheek by jowl next to the Mumbai Police Headquarters on November 19 2014 that exhorted Metro House P Ltd decision makers to vacate the structure and also remove the nearly 150-year-old building that had begun to exist since 1875 and houses an iconic beer-joint – Cafe Mondegar within 6 months.
Anyone who knows to count from 1 to 10 would place the deadline on May 19 2015.
The Times of India, Indian Express, DNA and Hindustan Times carried detailed articles saying Cafe Mondegar would be evicted April 19 2015 casting a slur on the Mumbai Port Trust for destroying an iconic landmark. All of them had sourced their stories from Saumit Sinh.
Two days later, The Times of India carried an article saying the ‘eviction’ will not happen at all!
According to media reports, Cafe Mondegar was one of the places from where David Headley had recced 26/11.
Metro House signed the contract in 1995 but got possession with ‘retrospective’ effect from 1991, citing an earlier lease with an Islamic Trust that had transferred its lease to Tejani a few months after the expiry of the lease in 1986!
In multiple court cases – those said to be in cahoots with Tejani have cited Metro House to be owners of the property and have initiated legal proceedings to evict tenants under the Maharashtra Rent Control Act 1999 that explicitly does not apply to government owned property! A lot more details were made available in blogs published through Google’s BlogSpot.
Very significantly, Google has killed all the blogs written by this author – without offering any explanation. Tweets and emails sent to India-born Google CEO Sundar Pichchai have not produced results.